Since movie theaters are closed and it’s safer to stay home, I thought a low-waste Mulan Movie Date Night would be a fun way to celebrate the movie’s release!
Mulan is being released on Disney Plus this Friday, September 4th. (Eeek!)
Yes, you’ll have to pay $29.99 (on top of the monthly Disney Plus subscription fee) but it’s nice to have something to get excited about in 2020.
Also, once you watch the movie you have to come share your thought with me! I shared all my (very honest) thoughts in my YouTube review and would love to know if you agree or disagree:
**Date night post continued below!**
It’s so tempting to buy a ton of cute decorations but unless you have plans to reuse those decorations, skip them and use things that you already have. (This is better for the planet and your budget!)
Here are things you likely already have and can use:
- Cozy blankets
- Throw pillows
- Air mattress
- Christmas lights (Think about it, these get used once a year and then you store them for 11 months. Pull them out and add a little sparkle to your night)
- (Faux) flowers
- Snack bowls
- Chalkboard, whiteboard, or anything you have to make a sign
Even if an outdoor projector is not in your budget right now (I feel you!), most of us have laptops.
Charge that sucker up and use it to watch Mulan under the stars!
Blow up an air mattress or grab an outdoor bench and add a bunch of pillows and blankets so you can snuggle up. You may need to wait until after 8pm for the weather to cool down but that’ll give you enough time to eat dinner together.
And yes, you can lay in bed to watch the movie but it’s date night! Switch your normal habits to make the night feel special and different from your normal routine (This is super important!)
*DATE NIGHT TIP*
After almost 5 years of marriage, I’ve really come to understand the value of putting intention behind time spent together. Making a deliberate effort to break the routine and differentiate your date night will be a more fulfilling experience for the both of you.
(This section contains affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you)
The low-waste option here is to cook your own dinner (no to-go container waste) but this is also a good opportunity to support a local restaurant. Keyword, LOCAL– skip the big chains and opt for a mom and pop restaurant.
**Low-waste tip: through your delivery app request no silverware or napkins and use what you have at home.
You also need popcorn, the movie night must have.
I love adding a little olive oil & everything bagel seasoning to my fresh-popped popcorn to make it gourmet– oh la la!
I recommend THIS popcorn reusable microwave popcorn maker. It’s less wasteful than buying individually wrapped bags and it works better than any of the containers I’ve tried from home. Trust me, I’ve burned a lot of popcorn and scorched a few containers!
THE MOVIE: Fun Facts
It wouldn’t be a movie date without a few fun movie facts! Below are some interesting facts about the original animated Mulan.
- Mulan is based on the story of Hua Mulan, a legendary female warrior. Intrigued? Me too. I can’t wait to google this more.
- The name Mulan translates as magnolia or wood orchid.
- Mulan helped launch Christina Aguilera’s career. This doesn’t surprise me, she sang “Reflection” so beautifully.
- Mulan was originally slated to be an animated short and set to go straight to video under the title China Doll.
- Mulan’s family temple features the names of many of the talented artists and animators who worked on the film
- Mushu was going to have his own song called “Keep ‘Em Guessing” but Eddie Murphy didn’t want to sing.
- Ever notice how much Mulan touches her hair? That’s because the voice actress Ming-Na Wen also touches her hair! Disney animators often pull characteristics from their voice actors when crafting characters.
HAVE A WONDERFUL MULAN MOVIE DATE NIGHT!
I’m beyond excited to watch Mulan and I hope this post inspires you to turn Friday night into a fun, low-waste date night!
After you watch the movie, come back and let me know what you think in the comments!